Fall Convention Image Competition
Judges for 2019:
Bob Coates, Jim Cunningham, & TBD
Step one: read all information.
THE DEADLINES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
EARLY REGISTRATION IS AT MIDNIGHT, EASTERN STANDARD TIME, August 15, 2019 for a $75 competition fee per case ($150 to enter both the Photographic and Artisan case).
LATE REGISTRATION IS AT MIDNIGHT, EASTERN STANDARD TIME, August 20, 2019, with an additional $25 fee per case.
- Make sure you have read the TNPPA COMPETITION RULES before uploading your images to www.printcompetition.com! TNPPA Rules are found below. Images should be resized to be 4000 pxls at their longest edge and saved as a JPEG with a quality of 10. Image files must also contain an embedded color profile of sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998.
- Early Competition fees are only $75 for up to 6 images per case. There will be a Photographic case for $75 and an Artisan case for $75(Our new Master Artist type Degree) each case can have up to 6 images. You may enter in one case or both cases. Each case will have a case fee. August 15, 2019
- LATE entry is $100 up to 6 images per case ($200 if entering both cases). August 20, 2019
- The ALL Digital Image Competition Registration is NOW OPEN!
- Follow Step 2 directions by clicking the boxes in the upper right corner.
- Pay your $75 ALL DIGITAL Case entry registration per case (STEP 1) on this website by clicking on the Case Fee Payment-Step 2 box. NEW this year-you may purchase a Judges video critique of ALL your case images entered for only a flat fee of $20 per case! This is an incredible offering, and is similar to what is offered at IPC!
- Then you may upload your images to the upload site by logging on to www.printcompetition.com. (STEP 3) This will be open closer to competition, we will keep you updated.
- There is a small $8.00 fee to set up your account on www.printcompetition.com. What do you get for this $8.00 fee- a recording of the competition, be able to watch other competitions for one year, and you will be contacted via email with your score once it is judged! Or, upgrade to get even more services by going PREMIUM! Wow, what a great service for so little!
- For questions, contact Elena Ganusova, Print Salon Director and Secretary, at email@example.com or call at (865)309-348 or contact Skip Jackson, President at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (615)513-1128 . GOOD LUCK!
. Members are invited to sit in and view the judging FREE of charge! The event will be recorded on www.printcompetition.com, so if you can't make it to the judging, don't worry!
- The Image Competition will be recorded on printcompetition.com, so if you are unable to attend in person, you may order the recording! We will be using the same system used at PPA IPC Judging! You will also be contacted once your image is judged with a score, if you sign up for this feature!
- Judging is open to the membership as a member benefit, so make plans to come and sit in on the ACTION and learn what it takes to MERIT!
- It is a benefit to the Active, Associate, Senior Active or Honorary Life membership levels in good standing to be able to enter into the Annual Image Salon. All other memberships must upgrade their membership to the above mentioned levels to enter the image salon. Membership must be current, registration and case fees detailed below must be received by deadline, image titles MUST match on the registration and digital filename otherwise the entry will not be accepted. Please do not ask for exceptions, this puts the salon chairman in an unfair position and is unfair to the other image submitters.
- The purpose of this competition is to allow photographers to enter digital files and/or digital albums to be judged against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. (For more information go to: http://www.ppa.com/competitions/content.cfm?ItemNumber=1792
- Entries in the Master Artist category/Artisan Case are judged based on not just the final image result but also the execution of technique and degree of difficulty. Guide images must be added to the digital canvas.
- All points earned from the Arisan case are considered A merits for the new Artisan Degree (starting 2019 competition, not retroactive). All point Earned with the Photographic case are A merits for the Certified Degree as well as past points earned.
- Scoring will be as follows: Exceptional 95-100, Superior 90-94, Excellent 85-90, Deserving of a Merit 80-84, Above Average 76-79, Average 74-75, Acceptable 70-73.
Entry into the competition permits use of images with proper credit given by TNPPA on its website, Facebook page, and other marketing material.
1. Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
2. If an entry, in the good-faith opinion of the Salon Chairperson, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law then that entry shall be disqualified and any merit awarded will be revoked.
3. The entrant’s name shall not appear anywhere in or on the face of the entry.
4. No entry will be eligible that has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment.
5. No two entries in the same case shall be of the same subject unless drastically different themes.
6. Entry media is digital files.
7. If an image is awarded an exhibition merit in any category at TNPPA it may not be submitted again in any category including albums at any time by any entrant at TNPPA.
8. A total of six (6) entries are allowed per case. Only four (4) entries are required to be eligible for cumulative score awards. (You may enter both photographic and artisan case for a total of 12 entries maximum)
9. The Jury Chairperson will have the authority to decide on any question not specifically covered by these rules and the Chairperson’s decision will be final. Any entries not following these rules may be disqualified.
10. An entry in the Master Artist category/Artisan Case may be reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person as long as the maker is willing and able to provide appropriate written permission for use at any time before, during or after the competition. All Artisan images are required to have guide images included on the digital canvas.
11. Entries should have presentation. Meaning presented as a finished piece with digital matting or finishing.
PHOTOGRAPHIC CASE COMPETITION CATEGORIES
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry:
P-1 Child (Individual)
P-2 Male (Individual)
P-3 Female (Individual)
P-4 Bridal Portrait
P-7 High School Seniors
I-3 Photojournalism (Sports, News, etc.)
4. SOCIAL EVENT
SE-2 Event Album (one event)
SE-3 Storybook Album (Senior, Baby, Family)
ARTISAN CASE COMPETITION CATEGORIES (must use guide images in all categories)
MA-1 Image Enhancement
MA-2 Digital Creation
MA-3 Collages (Sports, Dance, etc.)
DIGITAL SINGLE-IMAGE ENTRY
1. Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels. Each file must contain an embedded color profile of sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998, and be saved at a JPG quality setting of 10 if file size allows it. Total file size should not exceed 3.5 MB.
2. Files are to be named: Image_Title (use _ for spaces: See_Spot_Run,jpg).
3. Entries in the Master Artist category/Artisan Case must have guide images. The guide images should be submitted on the digital canvas.
4. Files are to be submitted to www.printcompetition.com
DIGITAL ALBUM ENTRY
1. All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4,000 pixels, have an embedded color profile of sRGB or Adobe RGB 1998, and should be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10.
2. Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire.
3. An album entry shall contain a minimum of 5 pages/spreads up to a maximum of 36 pages/spreads.
4. All individual files must be compressed into a single ZIP file. ZIP file must be named:
(use _ for spaces: Kaylee_Senior_Album_SE-3.zip).
5. The category abbreviation SE-2 or SE-3 must be embedded in the IPTC metadata under Caption/Description for each individual page/spread file.
6. The member’s name (First Name [space] Last Name) must be embedded in the IPTC metadata under Creator/Author for each individual page/spread file. For a multi-maker album use LastName_FirstInitial of each maker.
7. The title must be embedded in the IPTC metadata under Title/Document and the viewing order (2 digits) added for each individual page or spread file.
For example, Kaylee_Senior_Album_01 for cover, Kaylee_Senior_Album_02 for the first page or spread, Kaylee_Senior_Album_03 for the second, etc. 8. Studio identification or entrant’s name may not appear on any file within the album entry.
DEADLINES, FEES, and DIGITAL SUBMISSION DELIVERY
DEADLINES AND FEES
1. Entry fee per case containing up to six (6) entries is $75 per case per member and must be prepaid online upon submission of digital files. Each member may enter in the Photographic Case($75 fee) and Artisan Case($75 fee) for a total cost of $150 for both cases. Or a member may chose to enter in only one case. Any merits earned in the new Artisan case may go towards the new Artisan Degree. These prices are the early bird pricing and last until August 15, 2019.
2. Late deadline for entry of digital submissions and payment of entry fees is midnight, August 20, 2019 EASTERN Standard Time. Late registration is an additional $25 per case.
3. Online competition registration opens now and ends August 15, 2019 for early registration and August 20, 2019 at midnight, for late registration (with an additional fee).
1. All entries are to be submitted digitally to www.printcompetition.com after all case fees have been paid online at www.tnppaonline.com. Go to EVENTS, FALL CONVENTION, IMAGE COMPETITION tab.
2. If email receipt confirming submission is not received within 72 hours, contact the Salon Chair a Elena Ganusova at email@example.com or contact the secretary, Dana Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. All submissions must fulfill the entire requirements of this document or they may be disqualified.
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the Salon Chairperson is final.
- Best of Show –chosen by the judges from reviewing all images receiving a minimum score of 80 in each category.
- 1st Place – chosen by the judges from reviewing all images receiving a minimum score of 80 in each subcategory exclusive of the Best of Show designation.
- Distinguished – chosen by the judges from reviewing all images receiving a minimum score of 78 in each subcategory exclusive of Best of Show and 1st Place designation.
- Most Improved - D. E. Dickerson Award – the most improved photographer from the previous year based on a cumulative case score.
- Stan Baker First Timer Award – This award is to go to the highest overall case score of the maker who has prior to the time of the current TNPPA salon, never submitted to any state, regional, or IPC competition.
- Joe Bass Memorial Award – the highest scoring image in the Illustrative category.
- CPP Award – the highest scoring image entered by a Certified Professional Photographer.
- ASP Award – the highest scoring image by an ASP (American Society of Photographers) member.
- People’s Choice Award – chosen by popular vote of the convention attendees (not always given).
- Presidential Award - the highest scoring overall image or album.
- TNPPA Photographer of the Year - W. W. (Bill) Carrier, Jr. Award awarded for the highest cumulative case score.
- Top Ten Photographers –the ten entrants with the highest cumulative case scores based on the highest 4 entries by an entrant.
- Judge’s Choice Award – each judge will chose one entry from the competition to receive their judge’s ribbon (not always given).
- Tank Award – awarded to the PPA Tennessee Local Affiliate with the highest cumulative case average for all members.
Cumulative score refers to the highest 4 entries by an entrant.
Ties will be broken by judges.
Out-of-state members are eligible for one Best of Show, one 1st Place and two Distinguished awards across all categories.